NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, March 28, 2008

Izzie is a 100 days old today!








Similar to the 1-month milestone in Chinese culture, the 100 day milestone in Korean culture is very important. This is what I found on the internet:

In Korea, on the 100th day after a child's birth, a small feast is prepared to celebrate the child's having survived this difficult period. If the child is sick at this time, the family passes the day with neither announcement nor party, for to do otherwise is considered bad luck for the infant.

To prevent potential harm to the child and to bring him or her good luck and happiness, red bean cakes are customarily placed at the four compass points within the house. If the steamed rice cakes are shared with 100 people, it is believed that the child will have a long life. Therefore, rice cakes are usually sent to as many people as possible to help celebrate the happiness of the occasion. Those who receive rice cakes return the vessels with skeins of thread, expressing the hope of longevity, and rice and money, symbolizing future wealth.


I guess I can no longer say that I have a newborn. Just the other day, Albert and I were talking about how babies just grow so fast. Parenthood is definitely THE hardest thing we've done, but its so rewarding. Its so much fun watching her discover new things everyday.

Anyhow... Izzie, you turned a 100 days old today. I'm sorry that we're not throwing you a big feast (I promise, your 1 year old birthday party will be smashin'), nor are we distributing rice cakes to 100 people. For sure, we'll do something special today though, I promise. Meanwhile, being that you are born in the modern virtual age, I'll be sending out these virtual rice cakes to everybody who reads this blog and are your fans, ok?



We love you, Boo Boo.

2 comments:

jensu said...

aww happy 100 izzie. love the pics :)

TobeMrs.Shavers said...

I absolutely LOVE all these new pics of Izzie! Thank you for sharing your life with Emily & I... I hope you guys are doing well! :)