NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Full Term!!!


As of yesterday, I am officially full term. That means that if Alf makes an appearance from here on -- she won't be considered a premie. People are always asking me how I feel and I always answer "pretty good." What I am not mentioning:

1. My shrek-sized feet, cankles and hands. My feet are the biggest problem because I have no shoes that fit me anymore, and I refuse to go out and buy a new pair when I only have a few weeks to go. Maybe its stupid.. but for now, I just shove my balloon feet into my shoes and deal with it.

2. Pelvic pain. This is no joke and its something that you never hear about. Its hard to describe, but basically every time I shift positions or I'm walking, I get these shooting pains in my pelvic area, my butt and my upper thighs. It has something to do with my joints relaxing and things getting rattled around. Fun!

3. Inability to get comfortable while sleeping. So pre-pregnancy, I've always been a belly sleeper or a side sleeper. When you're pregnant you're not supposed to sleep on your back. Something about the baby pushing down on a major artery and decreasing blood flow to the legs and the baby. Well, you can't sleep on your stomach for obvious reasons, and for me, sleeping on my side is really uncomfortable when I have a bowling ball tugging down. Alas, no comfortable position for me to sleep. Yesterday, I enjoyed a prenatal massage (courtesy of Al's mom.. thanks!)and they had this bodyCushion thing that allowed me to be on my belly for an hour. After the session, I wanted to steal the cushion.

4. Baby movement. Believe me, I'm glad the baby is moving -- it would be a problem if she wasn't moving. But she's so dang big now, that these days when she moves its more like her burrowing.. and sometimes it hurts!

Still... when I say I'm "pretty good", I'm not lying. It is not lost on me that I have had a really smooth pregnancy, and have been fortunate in many many ways. Also, I've been lucky enough to get to go and get weekly chiropractic adjustments (saved my life), and get the occasional massage. I also have a really understanding husband, who tries really hard to do anything that will make me comfortable.

I'm also officially on maternity leave, so I'll get to rest a bit and start getting ready for the baby. Today's task... packing for the hospital.

No comments: